APPLY / AUDITION
Although consideration for The School for Music Vocations at Southwestern Community College will be given anytime, prime consideration is given to those who audition by December 1 of each year for the following school year.
For all instruments including voice, we would like to hear the following prepared pieces:
- One classical piece of any length (for vocalists, this might be an art song, lied, aria, musical theater piece, etc.)
- One jazz (or pop) song in any style
- Optional: a second jazz (or pop) song in a contrasting style.
Improvisation is encouraged--for vocalists, this means scat singing.
Additional things to note:
- It is preferred that all pieces be memorized. Please have an accompanist available, or bring a taped accompaniment.
- If you are a singer or instrumentalist, and can play a piece on the piano as well, we urge you to consider doing so, no matter what experience level you consider yourself to be on piano.
- Percussionists/drummers, bass players, pianists, and guitarists will be asked to play/comp over basic chord changes in a variety of styles including swing, bossa nova, samba, swing-shuffle, rock-shuffle, and straight eighth-note rock.
- Our in-person auditions are extremely user-friendly. Our intent is not to scare anyone, but rather to simply provide the chance for young musicians to demonstrate their potential. We want you to succeed!
- We prefer you audition in person by visiting The School for Music Vocations so that you might also sit in on a typical day of classes. To set up an audition, please contact Dr. Jeremy Fox or Lucas Mattson. However, in lieu of an in-person visit, we will accept a video performance addressing the above requirements. Videos may be emailed (with a corresponding message) to Dr. Jeremy Fox at email@example.com. Or an audition on digital media may be mailed to:
Southwestern Community College
The School for Music Vocations – Auditions
1501 W. Townline St.
Creston, IA, 50801
For any questions, please call Dr. Jeremy Fox at 641.782.1466.